Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Sri Chinmoy Triple Triathlon 2008

I first took part in this event in 2004 in a team of 9 girls. Back then just completing one 1km swim leg was a challenge for me. My team was disqualified for failing to make the first bike cut-off, but we still completed the course and I was hooked on the event. In 2005 I completed 2 legs in team of 8 girls, including the big swim. In 2006 I was in a team of 3 girls and we each did 3 legs. I was exhausted at the end of that day and still couldn't believe people did the whole thing solo. But soon after that a little voice inside me starting nagging "triple tri solo". I was overseas for work in November 2007, so 2008 was to be my year.

My training was mixed. I had a fun year, completing some solid hilly trail runs, including the 6ft track marathon and Oxfam Trailwalker 100km, and some good mtb training with the AROC Mogo 100km and the Scott 24hr. I swam consistently over winter and managed 3x per week most weeks leading up. I was fit and definitely had a good endurance base. But I had a dodgy knee in the 2 months prior, so I didn't do much running and no hills for that period. Then various factors (work, family, life) meant I did none of the massive weekend sessions that I had planned and thought I needed, for about 6 weeks prior to the race. I seriously considering not starting, or doing a team of 2 instead, but in the end I figured I had nothing to lose and would never know if I didn't give it a go.

Leg 1 - 1.5km swim
The 7 soloists (3 female and 4 male) gathered on the bank of Lake Ginninderra at 5.30 am just as the sun was rising. The race briefing was succinct: You all know where you are going and what you are doing, right? We wished each other well, the race director said Go and off we went. The water was mild and the smell of it very familiar from my childhood, so I relaxed straight away. I was surprised how quickly the 4 males disappeared but it didn't worry me. I left the water in front of the other 2 girls but lost a bit of time in transition and they both got away on the bike ahead of me.
Soloists start @ 5.30 am

Leg 2 - 35km mtb
Within a km or so we 3 girls were riding along together chatting. We all agreed that our primary goal was to finish. Kate from the US was backing up from Xterra World Championships in Maui, Hawaii a few weeks before and Laura was back for revenge after DNF-ing as a soloist in 2006. Talking to her I knew she would finish today. Just after the University of Canberra we passed my friend and fellow soloist Steve with a flat tyre. He had a support crew member with him and seemed okay changing it. Heading over the top of the first hill of the day on Bruce Ridge, Laura and I pulled away a little. We rode together until the infamous Push Bike Hill, when we did as the name suggests. Soon I was at the top of Black Mt and it has never before felt so easy getting there. I (shamefully) walked a steep section coming down off Black Mt. From then on it was an extremely lovely early morning ride over ridges, through paddocks, along bike paths, even along some single track. I arrived at transition 2 feeling great. Climbing up Black Mountain

Leg 3 - 20k run
I love this run. It goes straight up and over Mt Majura and Mt Ainslie then on to Lake Burley Griffin. I set off feeling good and soon passed Laura, who had again had a quicker transition than me. I walked some steeper sections but ran most of the way and was soon at the top of Mt Majura, another peak bagged. I ran down the road very cautiously as I didn't want to antagonise my knee. The course then passes through some of the Majura Pines mtb single track which is great fun to run, like being on a rollercoaster. I happily jogged along some familiar trails and was soon on the narrow track traversing the top of Mt Ainslie. I arrived at the summit, took in the amazing views, saw my dedicated support crew and started heading down the steep mostly paved descent. Again I was very cautious. I wanted to fang it, but I knew I had to look after my knees and quads to get through the next 2 triathlons. I was passed by a lot of team runners having a blast. From the bottom of Mt Ainslie to the swim transition is a couple of flat kilometres and I was soon wriggling back into my wetsuit for the big swim.
Somewhere on Mt Ainslie

Leg 4 - 3.5k swim
Solo competitors are allowed to have a kayak with them for the 2nd and 3rd swims, keeping a 5 meter distance. I recruited my Dad for this task as I was worried about cramping. The day was warming up and it felt so nice to be in the water and resting my legs. I never kick much and in a wetsuit I get away without kicking at all. I mentally broke the swim down into 3 sections - to the first bridge, to the second bridge and then to the finish. After about 2km a team swimmer passed and gave me a little fright, and one leg cramped. I rolled over on my back for my moment then breaststroked over to Dad in the kayak and hung on for a moment (this is allowed as long as the kayak is not moving forward at the time). The cramp passed straight away but I stopped for a gel and a drink, assured Dad I was fine and then pushed on. As I was nearing the finish I recognised another kayak nearby and knew that meant Steve, who is a strong swimmer, was passing me. I tried to hop on his feet but had no chance and by the time we got to shore he had put a good gap on me. I was excited to be finished the swim with no real problems and was looking forward to the ride. In transition I ate a fair bit (thinking of it as lunch) - a bread roll, chips, creamed rice and an energy drink.
Finishing swim 2 at Acton Ferry Terminal

Leg 5 - 40k mtb
This mtb leg feels pretty mammoth, as you ride over some good hills, down to Coppins Crossing, up and around Mt Stromlo and beyond. I was feeling good as I rode around the lake and passed some team riders. On the way towards Dairy Farmers hill (not summited this year due to road works) I caught up to Steve and congratulated him on a good swim and we chatted for a while. The climb up Mt Stromlo felt long and hard but I kept plugging away and got there eventually to some cheers and a kind offer of being 'sponged'! The trip down Mt Stromlo is on some fun single track that I was familar with from the 24hr race, so I really enjoyed this section. Soon after crossing Cotter Road I started to feel a bit sick and very bloated. I was aware that I had not eaten much for awhile but I didn't feel like anything. I had never ridden the last section along the back of Duffy and Chapman but I thouroghly enjoyed it - very scenic and easy riding mixed with memories of the devastation that the Canberra bushfires brought here.
Fuelling up before Bike 2

Leg 6 - 12k run
As I started this run Julie Quinn (female course record holder and helper to Kate this year) encouraged me and said this was leg was 'the hard one'. VERY TRUE. I hadn't run it before and naively thought - 'its 12km, how bad can it be?' Well, the start goes up and up and up Mt Taylor. I was quickly reduced to walking and started feeling pretty awful. Once I got over the top and started down I ran but my stomach hurt and bouncing up and down was making it worse. I decided to try and make myself vomit, having heard of this being a magic cure for others with tummy troubles. I stuck my fingers down my throat but to no avail. I plodded on and soon Kate came past and said Hi. This woke me up and I decided to try and keep up with her. So down the mountain we went and started along the mercifully flat bike path towards Lake Tuggeranong. Kate was feeling sick too but we jogged along together okay. In the transition I was stressing about what and whether to eat as I still felt sick and now I had to swim. I have never had nutrition problems before and didn't have a plan for how to deal with it. But I was through 2 triathlons now and starting to feel pretty confident that I was going to make it, so that cheered me up.
Run transition laid out and ready to go

Leg 7 - 1.2k swim
I don't think I have ever swum that slowly in my life. I felt so flat, and it almost I was going in slow motion. I couldn't kick at all for fear of cramps and had to really concentrate on keeping my legs relaxed. Fortunately I had Dad paddling again, though at one point it looked like he was having to paddle backwards to keep near me. I just kept stroke-stroke-stroking away and knew I would get there ... eventually. The ladder at the end out of the water was a challenge, but fortunately my legs and arms were still working just enough to get me up it. In transition I think I managed to eat a bit more but my tummy was still sore.
Waving to Mum before the last swim - yay

Leg 8 - 25k mtb
The first part of this leg was a long, flat bike path, into a headwind. I now concede that it wasn't gale-force as I thought at the time. A team female rider got on my tail and sat there the whole way along the bike path. I know this is legitimate and I would probably do it myself, but in my tired state I was so grumpy with her. I wanted to yell "what the hell are you doing? I am a solo - SO-LO, d'ya hear me? Get up here and take your turn". Once out of the wind she passed me and then she rode off into the distance. It broke my heart!

There are some fantastic views on this leg but you have to climb some nasty hills to get to them. I think I hit the wall here. It is a bit of a blur but I remember at one stage I was pushing my bike one or two steps, stopping, gathering all my strength, taking another 1 or 2 steps, etc. I was very tired and still feeling sick but I think the problem was more I had lost it mentally. I wasn't even trying to go. At one stage I saw my support crew and I could tell from their worried faces that I looked bad. Towards the end of this section there are some steep descents which I inched down on my brakes - shame. I wish I could ride downhill properly. Then I started riding behind a father and son team and that kept me motivated. The son looked about 8 years old - what a champ. Finally I reached the tunnel, which is one of the coolest parts of the whole Triple Tri, rode it sucessfully and emerged into the transition to the final leg. Yippee. This was probably my quickest transition of the day because I was so keen to get running. I decided not to take my camelbak because it was late in the day and I could do without the extra weight.
Looking better than I felt on Bike 3

Leg 9 - 13km run
It just wouldn't be right if this leg was too easy, so there were still some more decent climbs to complete. I ran, walked and shuffled over the hills. I felt very tired and thought I could easily lie down and sleep. A bus stop bench looked particularly inviting. But the last 5 or so kilometres are flat, lovely bike path and I can honestly say I enjoyed it. I was able to run and I felt good considering. The crowd at the finish was small but appreciative and I felt like a star being cheered by my family and triathlon buddies. As I crossed the line I unexpectedly started crying - just really happy and really exhausted.
Running on the last run leg

My total time was 13 hours, 59 minutes and 17 seconds. I didn't care at all about the time, but it was great to finish while it was still light and with time for a shower before the presentation started.
One of the best parts of the Triple Tri is the presentation. They put on a big spread of vegetarian pasta, curry, rice etc, with rice pudding, fruit, hot chocolate etc - heaven. Then when they give the awards they have each solo finisher make a little speech, which makes it special. I never dreamed that one day I would be one of those crazy people and I really enjoyed my little moment. Its funny because once you have done it you know its not that hard, but the uninitated don't know that.

I recovered really well. I was leg sore for 2 days and tired for about a week, but nothing serious. As soon as it was over I started thinking about how much I want to do it again and how I could improve. The training I did was enough to get me through but not enough to go at any speed. I particularly faded in the last triathlon and I am sure I could improve that with a better preparation.

In closing I highly, highly recommend the Triple Tri solo experience to anyone who loves going long and being off-road. If I can do it, you can too.

5 comments:

Hamburglar said...

Zoe,

Congratulations. Awesome report.I couldn't imagine getting back in the water a 2nd and 3rd time.

How did you go? 1st 2nd or 3rd?

I also can't believe there was such small numbers competing in the individual when they get 1000's doing IM?

I will be watching out for what is next. Hopefully represent Aus in Long course tris?

Jen said...

Woohoo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sensational report & result Zoe. Congratulations on finishing. I know some of those hills from my training in Canberra - hooly dooly you are one tough chick ;-)

So what's next for you? Can't wait to find out!

miners said...

absolutely awesome stuff Zoe! Fantastic race report, and it really gave any potential crazies a good idea of what's involved. Damn those middle bike and run legs sound tough!

Congratulations on such a huge achievement :)

Bethany said...

You are an inspiration Z!

Jen said...

Good luck on Saturday Zoe - go chase those boys down!

I'll be at the start and finish so I hope to see you then.